Whether you’re preparing for a rainy spring season or recovering from one, pool maintenance is required to safeguard the health of your water quality and equipment. So your pool will be ready for swimming once the sun comes out again, check out these pointers on how to maintain your pool in the summer when it’s raining.
What Does Rain Do to Your Pool Water?
Acidic rainwater can lower the pH of your pool and cause problems with its water chemistry. Acute episodes of rainwater irritation in addition to acidic pool water that causes discomfort to the eyes and skin may render your sanitary and disinfection measures ineffective.
Your pool is not protected against unwanted germs and pollutants. The most hazardous aspect of heavy rain is that the acidic, nitrogen-rich water provides ideal breeding conditions for algae. Nobody wants to see green water on their steps, floor, or walls after a surprise visit from Uncle Sam.
How to Care For Your Pool Before It Rains
If the weather forecast calls for a lot of rain, follow these preventive measures to keep your pool water clean and safe:
- To maintain your water chemistry in balance, make sure to change the pH and alkalinity of the water.
- Shock your pool water and even raise the chlorine level 1 – 2 ppm over what is normally recommended or needed.
- It’s also vital to remember that preventing algae is critical for keeping your pool surfaces clean. As a result, maintain an algae killer in the water to combat any potential algae outbreak.
- Brush the surfaces of your pool. Brushing your pool walls and floor on a regular basis may help to remove any small algae particles, allowing them to flow into the filter.
- Always follow the directions for cleaning your pool filter. Clean your pool filter using the manufacturer’s instructions.
If your pool still requires assistance after a substantial rainfall, please contact your local pool service business. Your pool service expert can assist you with any additional difficulties, such as equipment failure and cleanup from low-lying flood-prone regions, among other things.
The dedicated team at Swim-Mor Pools & Spas is here to help. With over 50 years of experience, they’ll be able to answer any of your questions and help you find the best options available. Contact us today!