A swimming pool is a great place to escape, exercise, and socialize with your family and friends. However, like owning a car, house, or boat, you can maintain the quality and lifespan of your pool by performing regular maintenance and detecting any leaks.
Unfortunately, over time, many swimming pools develop leaks. Some pool leaks are simple to identify and repair, while others may need specialized equipment and be more expensive to address. Whatever the case may be, it’s useful to understand what might cause a pool leak.
Pool leaks can be the result of a variety of reasons, including:
- Improper pool winterization
- Settling of soil around the pool
- UV degradation of the pool plumbing
- Pool equipment pad issues
Pool Leak Detection
Aside from higher-than-normal water costs, there are a few signs that your pool is leaking. If you have to fill your pool more frequently or the landscaping surrounding it is constantly wet, it’s probably time to look for leaks. Follow these steps:
- Turn off your pump and autofill (if you have one).
- Place a 5-gallon bucket on one of the steps leading into the pool and fill the bucket with water, so it is filled up to the same level as the pool water.
- Mark the inside of the bucket’s top water level with a permanent marker or duct tape and then leave it alone for 24 hours.
- After you return, if the water level in the pool is lower than the water level in the bucket, you know your pool is leaking. Keep in mind that a pool will generally lose a one-quarter inch of water per day from evaporation.
If you can’t locate your pool leak by observing drips, puddles, or a dye test, you may have a pool leak in your underground pool plumbing system that will need to be found by a pool leak detection business. A specialist can inspect and pressurize your pool’s plumbing system using ultrasonic equipment to look for the leak.
The dedicated team at Swim-Mor Pools & Spas is here to help. With over 50 years of experience, they’ll be able to answer any of your questions and help you find the best options available to fix your pool leak. Don’t hesitate and contact us today!